The Hawken Laboratory has expensive testing equipment that provides sophisticated analysis of your furnace water. Those test results are then run through a computer algorithm that provides you a customized report so that you can have the peace of mind knowing that your investment is properly protected.
If your water test results are not satisfactory, this algorithm will give you specific instructions on what needs to be done. In some cases, more water treatment is needed, and in other cases, some sediment may need to be flushed from your system.
Regardless, you will be provided specific and simple instructions on what steps to take.
But the important thing is to submit a water sample to the Hawken Lab so that you can know for sure that your INVESTMENT IS PROTECTED!
Follow the simple instructions to submit a water sample AS FOLLOWS:
Instructions for how to take the water sample:
Enjoy this fun video describing the process:
1. Follow all necessary safety precautions. See your Owners Manual for complete instructions. Taking a water sample while the furnace water is hot is DANGEROUS! Please be careful. It is safest to allow the furnace to cool before taking the water sample so please use common sense. (End of disclaimer!)
2. It is important to remember that an outdoor furnace must always be full of properly treated water. Any time water touches steel, it will rust holes in the steel, unless the water is properly treated. If you don't treat your furnace water, it is like driving a car without oil in the engine – it is only a matter of time and your furnace steel will become paper thin, the furnace will leak, and your investment in your furnace will be lost. Proper water treatment is CRITICAL!
3. Before adding water treatment, it is important to remove sediment buildup in the bottom of the water jacket. This is an important annual maintenance item that flushes any sediment buildup from the furnace. NOTE: Sediment that accumulates at the bottom of the water tank can prevent even properly treated water from protecting the furnace steel. This step can be done as often as necessary to get rid of dangerous sediment buildup.
4. To do this, open the drain valve in the bottom rear of the water jacket and drain approximately 5-10 gallons of water from the furnace, or until the water runs clear, whichever occurs last.
a. If the water does not run clear, you may have excessive sediment in your system and all the furnace water will need to be completely flushed out. If this is the case, be sure to remove the unburnt wood, coals and ash from the furnace so that there is not a fire burning while the water jacket is empty(the water jacket must be full of water when there is a fire in the firebox to protect the furnace steel from warping).
5. Optional: While flushing sediment, you can attach a hose to the water jacket drain at the bottom of the furnace to drain the water away from the rear of the furnace.
6. Once the water runs clear, close the drain valve.
7. Repeat steps 3-5 from second drain if you have a GX series furnace.
8. In the unlikely event that you had to flush ALL the water out of the furnace because of excessive sediment or cloudiness in the water, now refill the furnace with fresh water.
a. Please note that if you have a water softener, please bypass the water softener to fill the outdoor furnace with unsoftened water.
9. Add the required amount of Hawken Certified Water Treatment.
10. Allow the furnace water to circulate for a minimum of 24 hours.
11. Collect a water sample in a clean bottle so as to not contaminate the sample. Every gallon of Hawken Certified Water Treatment is shipped with TWO water sample bottles, labels, and shipping boxes.
12. Please be sure to include your email address on the BOTTLE label (not on the shipping box) so your results can be reported in a timely manner. Your email address is the most important because the Lab ONLY provides results for the FREE test via email. If you don't have an email address, call Hawken after 3 weeks for your test results by phone. Call us at (231) 861-8200.
13. Also write the following information on the bottle label: Furnace Serial number, furnace model, date sample collected, and your full contact information.
14. Please mail water samples VIA US POSTAL SERVICE ONLY to the following address:
PO Box 158
Shelby, MI 49455
15. Do not use FedEx or UPS – only mail your water sample via US Mail.
16. In 3-5 weeks, you will receive your test results via email. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN by the Hawken Lab, if any, to protect your investment in your outdoor furnace. If you follow these simple steps, you will be able to continue to save money with your outdoor furnace for decades!
- See more at: https://hawkensupport.com/