Prepare For Summer Shutdown:
Make Sure You Have Everything On This Checklist!
Step 1 of 10 - 2022 The Ultimate Summer Shutdown Checklist
The Summer Shutdown time is coming! But planning for the end of the heating season is not as simple as pressing a button or turning a switch.
Although it may seem simple to turn off your outdoor wood stove for the season, doing it correctly is critical for a variety of reasons, including increasing the life of your stove. There are important things to prepare to make sure that your wood furnace is ready for the summer season.
Here is a simple checklist of items you will need to prepare your furnace to be off for the summer months:
1. Shovel / Rake/ Hoe (or whatever tools you use to clean the firebox)
2. Shop Vac
4. Flexible Rod tube cleaning tool (GX Series Only - available HERE)
5. Cleaning Brush D-Plate (HE/GH Series Only - available HERE)
6. Water Treatment (Available HERE)
7. Metal container for ashes
8. Door Seal Replacement Parts (if needed - Available HERE)
9. Door Seal Replacement Instructions (Found HERE)
10. Flat Head Screwdriver (if needed to remove old door seal)
11. Make sure your Chimney Cap is in place (If not, available HERE)
12. Wire brush for cleaning inside of the chimney.
Every outdoor wood furnace is a major investment. That is why we do have these recommendations for proper maintenance in order for you to maximize your investment and ensure the efficiency of your outdoor furnace.
At the end of each heating season, it is strongly advised that you follow the procedure outlined below. Corrosion can be avoided if you follow the recommended guidelines and clean your furnace on a regular basis.
Check these articles below for other Summer Shutdown Checklists!