Top 3 Super-Fast Killers of Outdoor Furnaces
Avoid The Top 3 Super-Fast Killers of Outdoor Wood Boilers!
There are three COMMON mistakes that will kill your outdoor wood burning boiler FAST! Please avoid these at all costs! These will shorten the life of your boiler, and prevent you from saving money! Here is the list:
1. Never use an UNINSULATED chimney extension.
2. Never allow a deep layer of ash to accumulate in your firebox.
3. NEVER operate your boiler with untreated water.
1. Uninsulated Chimney Extensions - This is the FASTEST way to eat holes in your steel. Again, wood fuel contains moisture and you want that moisture to exit the boiler harmlessly in the form of steam. However, an uninsulated chimney cools the steam and it will condense on the walls of the chimney - this creates the most caustic acidic creosote! This acidic creosote drips back down into your boiler and eats holes in your boiler very quickly.
Solution? NEVER use an uninsulated chimney extension - if you have one, remove it TODAY! We all have chimney extensions on our boilers and love them - but they must be INSULATED chimney extensions. Click HERE for more info on insulated chimney extensions. They are nice to increase draft and to get the smoke up and away. Also, apply a creosote remover stick to make creosote very easy to remove. Click HERE to order and for the proper way to apply.
2. Deep Ash - Ash is harmless when dry and powdery. But if you allow your ash to get deep in your outdoor wood furnace, it will absorb moisture from the wood, and become an acid paste. This will eat your steel.
Don't be foolish and think that your wood is different. Some say "I only burn wood that is properly seasoned." That is great, but even the most seasoned hardwood contains 15-20% moisture - that is a lot of water. A thick layer of ash in your outdoor wood stove will absorb that moisture, become caustic, and slowly eat your steel.
Solution? Keep your ash level to less than 2 inches at all times. Remove a small amount of ash every day. And once or twice a month, remove ALL the ash and scrape out the firebox bottom with a spade. If you discover ash that appears moist and steamy, your ash level was too deep and you are damaging your steel. KEEP ASH LEVELS LOW! Never more than 1-3 inches in your firebox.
3. Untreated Water - Whenever water and steel touch, the steel begins to rust immediately. Steel companies have a spray they apply to their inventory, or else rust forms only minutes after steel is made. This protective layer stays on your steel until you fill your outdoor wood burner with water.
We have seen the inside of many water jackets. So we know INSTANTLY if the owner was using Liquid Armor Water Treatment to the furnace water. Here is what we see when a customer DOES NOT use proper wood boiler water treatment.
So you should never operate your outdoor wood furnace without water treatment. You will NOT realize how badly you are damaging your boiler without our Liquid Armor outdoor boiler water treatment and corrosion inhibitor UNTIL IT IS TOO LATE!
For more information, click HERE.
Visit our online store for more outdoor wood boiler parts!
Free Support and Fast Answers
With FREE Technical Support, our hundreds of videos, articles, operations & maintenance tips, and FREE Design Services, we guarantee that we will provide you with the right answer to your question or solution to your problem.
Free Water Testing
One of the most important steps in prolonging the life of your outdoor boiler is to ensure that the water in your boiler is not corroding the steel. Water starts to eat holes in steel immediately upon contact (through rust corrosion) unless properly treated. We test your outdoor boiler water for free!
Our Customer Promise
Customer support begins with a great customer service team. Our dedicated team is trained and experienced in all things outdoor boiler. You can always expect a human on the other end of the line. We know what’s important to you - your family, saving money, saving from your heating bills while keeping your house toasty warm - and we make that our highest priority.
Our goal at OutdoorBoiler.com is to help you realize the best return on your investment! We have invested MILLIONS in research, testing, and proving our designs and methods. We want YOU to benefit from all we have learned!