Your outdoor boiler runs great, doesn’t it? But do you know what it looks like on the inside? We have seen the inside of MANY outdoor boilers, and if you don’t use water treatment, this is what it looks like:
For those who use Liquid Armor Boiler Water Treatment, the inside of their water jacket looks like this:
You wouldn’t drive your new car without oil, would you? So make sure you protect your investment! Watch this important video on how to protect your outdoor boiler:
Water Treatment Products
Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I use Water Treatment?
Good question! Remember that water starts to eat holes in steel immediately upon contact (through rust corrosion), UNLESS the water is properly treated with a special chemical that has been formulated to protect the exact grade of steel in your furnace - Liquid Armor Boiler Water Treatment.
You have made a major investment in your furnace, and you want it to last! Liquid Armor Water Treatment helps you protect your investment so that you can save thousands of dollars each year on your heating bills for decades!
How Much Should I Use?
Follow the instructions on the Water Treatment bottle, but generally one gallon of water treatment will treat 200 gallons of water. This is a generalization, however, because water quality is very different in different parts of the country. The exact amount of water treatment you will need in your furnace will depend upon many factors - this is why the FREE water testing service is so very valuable.
What happens if I don't use Water Treatment?
You have made a major investment in your Boiler. Just like when you purchased your car, you made this big investment expecting to get many years of benefit from it. Of course, you would never drive your car without oil in the engine... But yet some people are killing their furnaces by operating them without properly protecting the steel from corrosion.
Untreated boiler water will start to eat holes in steel immediately upon contact, UNLESS the water is properly treated with a special chemical that has been formulated to protect the exact grade of steel in your furnace - Liquid Armor Boiler Water Treatment.
This is bad news, because if you don't use the proper water treatment, your boiler steel will quickly corrode and become paper-thin. Then, in just a short time, the steel will deteriorate and begin to leak, and your investment will be lost. It would be like buying a new car, and driving it without oil in the engine...it is only a matter of time and the investment will be worthless.
Here is some good news: If you have not been using the proper water treatment, it is never too late to start protecting your investment!! Start now and extend the life of your boiler.
Why Should I Submit a Water Sample?
Our Laboratory has expensive testing equipment that provides sophisticated analysis of your boiler water. Those test results are then run through a computer algorithm that provides you a customized report so that you can have the peace of mind knowing that your investment is properly protected.
If your water test results are not satisfactory, this algorithm will give you specific instructions on what needs to be done. In some cases, more water treatment is needed, and in other cases, some sediment may need to be flushed from your system.
Regardless, you will be provided specific and simple instructions on what steps to take.
How Do I Collect The Water Sample?
Instructions for how to take the water sample:
Enjoy this fun video describing the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4Pge5LN0mw
1. Follow all necessary safety precautions. See your Owners Manual for complete instructions. Taking a water sample while the furnace water is hot is DANGEROUS! Please be careful. It is safest to allow the furnace to cool before taking the water sample so please use common sense. (End of disclaimer!)
2. It is important to remember that an outdoor furnace must always be full of properly treated water. Any time water touches steel, it will rust holes in the steel, unless the water is properly treated. If you don't treat your furnace water, it is like driving a car without oil in the engine – it is only a matter of time and your furnace steel will become paper thin, the furnace will leak, and your investment in your furnace will be lost. Proper water treatment is CRITICAL!
3. Before adding water treatment, it is important to remove sediment buildup in the bottom of the water jacket. This is an important annual maintenance item that flushes any sediment buildup from the furnace. NOTE: Sediment that accumulates at the bottom of the water tank can prevent even properly treated water from protecting the furnace steel. This step can be done as often as necessary to get rid of dangerous sediment buildup.
4. To do this, open the drain valve in the bottom rear of the water jacket and drain approximately 5-10 gallons of water from the furnace, or until the water runs clear, whichever occurs last.
a. If the water does not run clear, you may have excessive sediment in your system and all the boiler water will need to be completely flushed out. If this is the case, be sure to remove the unburnt wood, coals and ash from the boiler so that there is not a fire burning while the water jacket is empty(the water jacket must be full of water when there is a fire in the firebox to protect the boiler steel from warping).
5. Optional: While flushing sediment, you can attach a hose to the water jacket drain at the bottom of the boiler to drain the water away from the rear of the furnace.
6. Once the water runs clear, close the drain valve.
7. Repeat steps 3-5 from second drain if you have a GX series boiler.
8. In the unlikely event that you had to flush ALL the water out of the furnace because of excessive sediment or cloudiness in the water, now refill the furnace with fresh water.
a. Please note that if you have a water softener, please bypass the water softener to fill the outdoor boiler with unsoftened water.
9. Add the required amount of Liquid Armor Boiler Water Treatment.
10. Allow the boiler water to circulate for a minimum of 24 hours.
11. Collect a water sample in a clean bottle so as to not contaminate the sample. Every gallon of Liquid Armor Boiler Water Treatment is shipped with TWO water sample bottles, labels, and shipping boxes.
12. Please be sure to include your email address on the BOTTLE label (not on the shipping box) so your results can be reported in a timely manner. Your email address is the most important because the Lab ONLY provides results for the FREE test via email. If you don't have an email address, call us after 3 weeks for your test results by phone. Call us at (231) 861-8200
13. Also write the following information on the bottle label: Furnace Serial number, furnace model, date sample collected, and your full contact information.
14. Please mail water samples VIA US POSTAL SERVICE ONLY to the following address:
PO Box 158
Shelby, MI 49455
15. Do not use FedEx or UPS – only mail your water sample via US Mail.
16. In 3-5 weeks, you will receive your test results via email. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN by the Our Labs, if any, to protect your investment in your boiler. If you follow these simple steps, you will be able to continue to save money with your boiler for decades!
How Do I Get Water Sample Bottles?
Each gallon of Liquid Armor is shipped with two FREE water sample bottles, shipping labels and shipping boxes. Just order a gallon of Liquid Armor at the following link HERE, and your water sample bottles will be included at no charge!
Alternatively, you can order water sample bottles in kits of 2 for a small charge plus shipping. Existing customers may order one package of water bottles per year at no charge HERE using the discount code "FREEKIT" at checkout. Shipping charges apply.
Where Do I Send My Water Sample For The FREE Water Analysis Testing?
Please send water samples via US MAIL ONLY. FedEx or UPS may return your sample to you thus delaying your results. Also, the only drop off location for water samples is the Shelby Post Office since the Our Labs uses a post office box.
Please mail water samples to the following address (US MAIL ONLY):
PO Box 158
Shelby, MI 49455
Why is my email address required to be on the water sample bottle?
Our Labs only provides results to the FREE testing service via email. You must provide an email address on the water sample bottle.
If you do not have access to email, your test will still be performed and recorded, but you will need to call for your results. Please allow 4 weeks for testing, then call (231) 861-8200 and be prepared to give your name, and furnace serial number to get your test results over the phone.
How long until I get test results from my water sample?
Normally, test results are sent via email within four (4) weeks of receipt of your water sample.
If my test results are "SATISFACTORY", when should I send in my next water sample?
Your test results will indicate that you should submit another water sample within 12 months of the date you COLLECTED your water sample. Since testing can take approximately 4 weeks, you should remember to send the next sample within 12 months of when your water sample was collected. You may want to send your water sample in the same month every year for consistency. Any time of the year is acceptable for collecting a water sample.
If my test results are "UNSATISFACTORY", what should I do?
Your test results will provide you with very detailed instructions. Please follow these carefully. If your results contain instructions to ADD water treatment, these instructions will direct you to add only the necessary amount of Liquid Armor to achieve a minimum passing test result. You may add slightly more. For example, if you are instructed to add 3 cups of Liquid Armor, you may add up to one-half gallon of Liquid Armor. It is possible to add too much water treatment so never add more than an additional one-half gallon above the recommended amount.
I received an "UNSATISFACTORY" test result because of high conductivity. Why is this and what should I do?
High conductivity can be very damaging to a boiler. If you have high conductivity, you will first be instructed to simply submit another water sample in case the result was due to sediment build up. PLEASE remember to carefully follow the instructions for collecting a water sample because you must open the bottom drain valve of your furnace and allow it to drain until the water runs clear; this flushes out any extra sediment buildup in the bottom of your boiler.
If your second water sample test result is "UNSATISFACTORY" because of high conductivity, you will be instructed to drain half of the water from your furnace and refill it with FRESH water. Remember that if you have a water softener, you MUST bypass the water softener to add water to your boiler. Softened water is harmful to your boiler and will almost always give a failed test result due to high conductivity.
Please remember that in order to drain the boiler half way, there is no sure way to visually know how far the boiler has drained so it is rather complicated. The water level indicator only registers the first 20 gallons at the top of the furnace so that is not a good indicator of the entire boiler being drained half way.
One possible way is to perhaps open the drain valve, and measure the number of seconds it takes to fill a 5-gallon bucket. Then do the math to know how many seconds to have the drain open to remove approximately half of your boiler water capacity. The full water capacity of all some outdoor boiler models is as follows.
I forgot to send in a water sample last year - is my warranty void?
We will do everything possible to help you protect your investment in your boiler. But it is your responsibility to follow the proper maintenance procedures to keep your boiler operating in good condition. Warranty claims are very rare because Boiler owners are very smart about maintaining their boilers. We will find ways to help you with any problem you may face, but please be diligent in caring for your boiler. The boiler maintenance requirements are very simple and are listed in your owners manual and on a sticker on the front of every boiler.
Am I responsible to keep water test results?
Your manufacturer's warranty requires customers to maintain copies of their furnace test results. We keep copies of these results also, but it is wise for you to keep a copy of your annual water analysis showing "Satisfactory" test results.
We test results are definitive proof that you have maintained your boiler water treatment properly and are eligible for full warranty coverage!
Since Liquid Armor Outdoor Boiler Water Treatment is the best water treatment, I want to use it to protect my furnace, but I have a different brand furnace. Can I still send in a water sample for the FREE water test?
YES! Liquid Armor is the best product available for protecting any outdoor wood boiler. If you have a different brand boiler, simple note this on the water sample bottle, and include the size of the water capacity of the boiler so that the lab can provide accurate test results and recommendations if any.
I was previously sold a different brand of water treatment. Should I drain my furnace completely, flush it out, and add new fresh water before adding Liquid Armor?
YES, you should drain and flush your boiler completely since we cannot certify the quality of any other water treatment product. There are some products on the market that are proven to HARM steel, so we recommend immediately draining your boiler and flushing it out. Then add fresh water - remember to bypass any water softener because softened water is not good for an outdoor wood boiler. Then add the necessary amount of Liquid Armor, allow it to circulate for 24 hours, then follow the instructions for collecting a water sample to send to our Labs.