This is Pablo. Pablo thinks he knows everything, and he struggles when people give him advice. Pablo actually made the biggest mistakes in ALL 3 of the important phases of outdoor wood burning boiler ownership: Installation, Maintenance, and Operations.
We recently published the first two - we'll recap those below. But first, here are the...
"3 Biggest Mistakes When Operating an Outdoor Wood Furnace"
1. Never Overheat Your Boiler
2. Don't Give Your Boiler a 6-Month Moisture Bath - Follow the Dry Burn Procedure
3. Freeze Damage Will DESTROY Your Boiler Fast - Be Prepared
Has Your Outdoor Boiler Overheated?
If your outdoor furnace has overheated, you must know the reason why because you could have a serious problem. Read our article on this topic found HERE, then take the recommended steps to prevent long-term damage to your boiler.
The failure of safety features is the most common cause of an overheating boiler. A boiler temperature that is too high isn't necessarily a reason for alarm or a safety hazard, but it must be addressed immediately to avoid further damage.
A simple fan seal could be the solution, but it's also possible that your pump is deteriorating or it could be a failure of other outdoor wood furnace parts and needs to be replaced. As a result, this is a critical issue.
6-Month Moisture Bath
If you don't follow the recommended "Dry Burn Procedure", you are giving your boiler steel a moisture bath that will destroy the steel. Follow this Dry Burn Procedure described HERE. This is not only for people who use their boilers year-round but for EVERY owner of an outdoor wood burner.
How Fast Will Freeze Damage Destroy Your Boiler?
We all worry about this, but are we truly prepared for a catastrophic event? Your boiler was designed to outlast all its electronic components (several times) so you should have one of each of these 4 electronics that will fail at some point: Fan, pump, solenoid, and high limit safety switch.
Read HERE about the risk of Freeze Damage. This is one of the biggest risks you face. Pablo is unprepared for this risk - are you?
We recently published the Biggest Mistakes that can be made during the Installation and Maintenance phases - we'll recap those here:
3 Biggest Installation Mistakes:
1. No Filter
2. Using an UN-insulated Chimney Extension
3. Installing low-quality underground Insulated PEX
3 Biggest Maintenance Mistakes:
1. NEVER allow ash layers to get deep - Always remove all ash WEEKLY
2. DO NOT ALLOW YOUR STEEL TO CORRODE! Fill your boiler completely full of properly treated water, and send a water sample to be tested by the OutdoorBoiler.com Lab.
3. Sediment is the "Secret Killer" of Outdoor Boilers...GET IT OUT of your boiler by Performing a sediment flush.
Avoid these mistakes! Follow our recommendations and we will enable you to Keep Your Family Toasty Warm and Comfortable for Decades!