Outdoor Wood Boiler Summer Shutdown Preparation Guide
Summer vacation is approaching! This is also the time to shut down your outdoor wood burner. However, preparing for the end of the heating season is more complicated than clicking a button or flipping a switch.
Although turning off your outdoor wood stove for the season may appear easy, doing this correctly is crucial for various reasons, including extending the life of your stove. To ensure that your outdoor wood furnace is ready for the summer season, there are a few things to consider and prepare.
If you plan to shut down your boiler this weekend, there are THREE steps you need to take TODAY so that you don't waste time. If you are not prepared, you will not be able to complete the job when you want to (I hate that feeling!).
Here are the THREE items you need to do today:
1. Add two creosote sticks to your boiler fire 3-4 days before the shutdown.
Creosote is a nasty black tar that builds up inside your outdoor boiler. It makes your boiler consume much more wood than it costs you time and money! It is harmful to your steel surfaces and reduces the efficiency of your wood boiler.
The creosote remover stick is an easy way to get rid of your creosote build-up. This creosote remover will help you max your outdoor furnace efficiency. Just toss one stick into your burn pot fire once per week for maximum effectiveness. (Available HERE)
2. Make sure you set aside these 11 items from the PREP Checklist before you start:
1. Shovel / Rake/ Hoe (or whatever tools you use to clean the firebox)
2. Shop Vac
3. Wire Brush for tube cleaning (GX Only - GX10 HERE and GX15/30 HERE)
4. Flexible Rod tube cleaning tool (GX Series Only - available HERE, head is available HERE)
5. Boiler Water Treatment (Liquid Armor Water Treatment is Available HERE)
6. Metal container for ashes
7. Door Seal Replacement Parts (if needed - Available HERE)
8. Door Seal Replacement Instructions (Found HERE)
9. Flat Head Screwdriver (if needed to remove old door seal)
10. Make sure your Chimney Cap is in place (If not, available HERE)
11. Wire brush for cleaning inside of chimney.
3. Now for the most important CARE and Maintenance checklist of the year - "The New and Improved Ultimate Summer Shutdown Checklist".
Complete this checklist even if you plan to keep your outdoor wood burning boiler running all Summer. Please keep in mind that if you use your outdoor wood stove in the summer, you'll need to take extra precautions to protect your boiler. More information can be found HERE.
Another successful Winter of saving money with your outdoor boiler is almost over. Awesome job! You invested, you prepared, you did the proper care and maintenance, and you added to your rippling biceps every day while adding fuel to the fire - Awesome!
For more outdoor wood boiler parts and products visit OutdoorBoiler.com or contact us for more information and to ask any questions!